The final swansong for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis was Frogger back in 1998. Since then, we’ve had countless homages, with the lastest being the future release of Streets of Rage 4. Now though, there is a brand new game in the works purely for Sega’s iconic games console. Developers Retro Nerve Games are releasing Kung-Fu UFO coming on Indiegogo next month.
Kung-Fu UFO is a story-driven adventure game heavily inspired by sci-fi and martial arts movies, as well as video games from the 80s and 90s. While not trying to emulate any existing titles, they’re taking some inspiration from games like Streets of Rage, Battletoads, Prince of Persia, and Mortal Kombat, even some more retro and obscure games like The Way of the Exploding Fist and The Way of the Tiger on the C64 and ZX Spectrum.
Retro Nerve says:
With a huge resurgence of retro gaming in recent years but with most of the new titles coming to modern PCs and consoles, fans are always looking for more authentic experiences. Kung-Fu UFO intends to follow the steps of previous crowdfunding success cases like Tanglewood and Xeno Crisis. The team intends to give new life to an old but very loved console. Fans all over the world are always more than happy to turn on their SEGA machines to play some quality and original homebrew games.
The gameplay presents a mix between platformer and beat’ em up genres that feels both fresh and very nostalgic at the same time. It includes exploration and some puzzle elements to solve on top of the jumping, climbing, and running.
Bonus levels will include vehicles and different gameplay mechanics similar to the ones in Battletoads & Double Dragon or Contra.
In order to deal with all of the enemies and bosses of the game, Retro Nerve is hand-crafting a fighting engine in the vein of games like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, with kicks, punches, blocks, combos and special attacks that are very intuitive and can be simple or complex depending on what the game needs and how the gamer decides to play it.
Key features of Kung-Fu UFO include:
- A 16-bit cartridge – Playable on SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis consoles and compatible clones (PAL, NTSC-US, NTSC-J)
- 16-bit pixel art – Beautiful hand-crafted and animated graphics and cutscenes.
- 16-bit chiptune – A rocking soundtrack with a variety of songs and tons of sound effects.
- Story-driven gameplay – That mixes different genres like platformer, beat’ em up, fighting and more.
- A main character with lots of different moves – Kicks, punches, combos and special attacks with more to be unlocked as you make your way through the game.
- Vehicles to drive and boss fights to win – Because running around all the time is not that fun, you’ll also be able to drive a motorbike, a plane and others…stopping here and there to finish off some huge baddies in order to go on with the story.
- Different stages – Not only graphically, but also in gameplay mechanics with bonus stages and huge levels for you to explore and clean out enemies.
- Wide variety of enemies – Keeping the gameplay and the game’s progression diverse in every chapter from beggining to end.
- Difficulty levels – So anyone can enjoy and finish the game, and everyone can set the bar to the preferred challenge.
- Password system – Bringing back the almost forgotten yet thrilling experience of getting a pen and a piece of paper and writing down a code in order to be able to continue the game where you left off.
This sounds like one for all the retro gaming enthusiasts, so dust off your Sega Mega Drive.